Dates of full service
Certain journeys on 11, 13 & 14 operate only on the dates listed below. These journeys are marked as “UWE” on timetables and at bus stops. All other services operate all year, except bank holidays.
University of West of England Terms
Term 1: 15 September 2012 - 14 December 2012
Term 2: 07 January 2013 - 12 April 2013
Term 3: 29 April 2013 - 7 June 2013
Bus passes for sale to UWE Students and Staff
Two types of passes are available. Both save you money compared to cash. You can buy either:
A “pay-as-you-go” smartcard
Just load up with credit and then use it on the bus instead of cash to buy single or dayrider tickets. This is quicker and cheaper than cash fares.
Place your card on the reader, ask for your ticket, then remove your card and ticket.
A Month, One Term, Three Term or Annual smartcard pass.
This gives you unlimited travel for the specified period on routes U1-U8. This is probably the best option if you’re going to be a regular traveler.
You just place your card on the reader on the bus, wait for a beep, then sit down.
Using smartcards helps keep our service punctual as less time is lost handling cash.
Cost of bus passes
Please see our 'fares and passes' page.
UWE’s Terms & Conditions of Travel
1. Replacements for lost passes will be charged at £5 each; contact the place you purchased it. If you purchased it online, email us. You will need your receipt as proof of purchase.
2. If UWE finds that any passenger is travelling fraudulently (ie using someone else's pass), the pass may be cancelled and this individual will not be sold another pass during that academic year.
3. Drivers have the right to refuse travel indefinitely to passengers who are considered to have acted improperly to UWE or Wessex Connect employees. Complaints in this regard should be forwarded to Wessex Connect in the first instance.
4. Refunds will be issued only for purchased annual and 3-term passes (not those included free within accommodation rents). This will be at a rate of £5 per week remaining on the pass, minus a £5 administration charge.
– 3-term pass: refunds available only until 4 March 2012 for UWE staff/students.
– annual pass: refunds available only within 6 months of purchase.
These terms & conditions are in addition to Wessex Connect's Conditions of Carriage. In case of doubt, the above conditions prevail.
Where can I buy a smartcard?
Passes are available for students at your nearest Students Union.
For Frenchay this is located in the “Lettings Shop” above the SU Shop.
What should I do if my smartcard has stopped working?
Cards can fail because they are physically damaged or have been bent. On some occasions they may fail for other reasons. Please return your card to where you purchased it for a replacement.
How do I replace a lost smartcard?
We recommend you keep the card safely stored in your purse or wallet, stored separately from your receipt of purchase. Normally you would not need to take out your card, just place your purse or wallet onto the reader on the bus. If your card has been lost, stolen or damaged, please return it to the Students Union. Please note you will need your receipt for a replacement to be considered.
Can I use the any other bus services with my bus pass?
A “pay-as-you-go” smartcard can be used on any Wessex Connect services (except Night Flyer). Wessex Connect sell a “Liberty Smartcard” that can be used on all Wessex Services at UWE
A Month, One Term, Three Term or Annual smartcard pass can be used on any of the Wessex Red ‘U’ services
How do I use the bus?
Unlike in some other areas, if you want to catch the bus, don’t assume the driver will stop. Hold your hand out well before he reaches the stop so he knows you want to board. To tell the driver you want tget off, ring the bell on the bus.